Life after adoption
Almost the end of our 2nd summer with the kids. In some ways, I'm astonished at how quickly the time has gone by. In others, I'm surprised by how long things take!
Take Gabby's language--it's come a LONG way from last summer but she's still not anywhere NEAR speaking like an almost 4 year old! She sounds more like a 2 year old...which is what she looks like...so I guess that's not all bad! She sometimes gets QUITE a little attitude too! I PRAY she finds some nice friends at preschool this fall! She really needs someone her age to play with--not just me or Duncan. She's done very well in her gymnastics class--I'm amazed at how strong she is! She's definately stronger in her arms than MOST 3 or 4 year old girls!
Then there's Duncan--he is STILL car/truck-crazy! He's still not saying much either--but he IS putting thoughts and words together into short sentences. We are supposed to have him re-evaluated by Early-On this fall--see if he qualifies for any early intervention stuff. I think he'll be like Gabby and just "place out" of getting early help. He's starting to have "tantrums"--tho his are SO VERY MILD most people don't realize they are tantrums! He stamps his feet and whines. No great fits of yelling, screaming, hitting or kicking--just foot stamps and whining! I know what it is tho...and it means he gets a time-out or doesn't get whatever he was hoping for! Oh well...he's 2 and a half...being a normal kid...throwing a tantrum! He will learn soon enough to use his words.
Gabby did great with sticking to potty training while we were on our trip to Charlotte and Shipshewana. Only a couple accidents. Overall, the kids did well. Missing nearly EVERY nap made both cranky and whiny by the time we got home. A few days of good napping and good over-nights REALLY helped! Duncan found a hat that he loves--finally! Well, it's really a visor--but it keeps the sweat from his eyes and he WEARS it! Duncan also got some cool toys from Grandma and Grandpa--a remote control truck--that we've already disabled cuz it wasn't working anyway!, a wooden helicopter and a school bus. Of course Gabby got nice things too--but she finds Duncan's stuff SOOOO much more appealing! Especially if she can GRAB it from him & hold it so high that he can't reach it.....Oh brother...sibling rivalry!
I sure wish gas & energy prices would go DOWN...I know, NOT a realistic wish! I still wish it anyway! It's SO disheartening to put $25 worth of gas into the car & only have the tank read 1/2 full! I wouldn't mind walking places...if I could! But most of my shopping is more than a mile away--much of it is more than 10 miles. Church is 12 miles each way, good friends live from 6 to 35 miles away!! I hate to miss seeing friends, but we just can't afford the drives much of the time....UGH!
Grandma's 100th birthday is one month from tomorrow! We will be driving over to Rochester, NY on September 7th. Hope the kids do well on this little trip too! I cannot even begin to fathom all the changes grandma has seen in her lifetime! Amazing!
No comments:
Post a Comment